The Annapolis Chapter of the Maryland Writers’ Association (MWA) presents Open Mic Night! Well, technically, we don’t have an actual microphone, so bring your big, room-filling speaking voice. This is your chance to read your published, unpublished, finished, or in-progress poetry, fiction, non-fiction, etc. in front of a friendly group of supportive people. It’s also a great opportunity to bring friends and family with you to also hear your work and put yourself “out there”! This is always a crowd favorite, so be a part of the fun and excitement. Start practicing now!
Here’s how to prepare:
- Select something you feel represents your work well.
- Make sure your reading is no more than five minutes. You’ll be surprised at how short the passage is on the page!
- Be prepared to briefly give context to your selection and explain what we need to know to understand what you’re reading.
- Practice, and with a timer! Work your way up to where you feel comfortable making eye contact with your audience and with clarity and feeling.
- Sign-Up list will be at the meeting, but if you can send us a quick email to let us know you’re participating, it will help us with planning (email@example.com). Don’t worry, you can change your mind later (or not).
Book Exchange and Cookies!
Searching for a new read? Have a good book you no longer want, but someone else might? Bring it for our book exchange! Bring snacks and refreshments too for all to enjoy while listening to everyone’s creative works, and make it a fun, festive night!
This and all meetings are open to the public and free to MWA members and first-time guests. All others may pay $5.00. Annual dues to MWA are $40.00 and include other benefits on top of monthly attendance. MWA meetings meet the third Wednesday of every month at 7:00 p.m. in Room 205 at Maryland Hall, located at 801 Chase Street, Annapolis, MD 21401.